In the grand tapestry of talent acquisition, businesses often find themselves at an intriguing juncture: to embrace the expertise of recruiters or to navigate the hiring maze independently.
Notably, while global data indicates that 72% of recruiting leaders value the influence of talent branding in hiring, a curious 39% of UK enterprises lean on external recruiters, platforms like GoHire being notable among them.
This presents an essential question: What drives this choice, and is it the golden ticket for your organisation?
Let’s delve deeper into the intricate realm of recruitment agencies, keeping an eye on how platforms like GoHire are reshaping the narrative.
The Pros of Recruiters
1. Expertise in the Field
Wide Network: Professional recruiters don’t just have contacts; they have vast networks cultivated over years.
68% of businesses agree that recruiters bring a pool of candidates they wouldn’t have access to otherwise.
Knowledge of the Market: They don’t just know the market; they live it.
A dedicated recruiter can tell you that a finance manager in Manchester earns differently from one in London, ensuring you maintain competitive packages.
Trends and Skill Insights: Recruiters have a granular understanding of market trends.
For instance, they can accurately inform on differential salaries across cities – an insight often championed by GoHire's analytics.
- Streamlined Processes: While recruiters might take 13 hours for screening individual applicants, companies without dedicated hiring teams spend almost 25 hours on the same task. Time, after all, is money.
- Immediate Availability: The term 'interview-ready' was probably coined by a recruiter.
They often have candidates prepped and primed, making sudden vacancies less daunting.
3. Flexible Hiring Options
- Contractual or Permanent: Whether it's a fleeting contract or a permanent role, recruiters are equipped to handle the range.
- Tailored to Your Needs: Ever felt lost in translation? With recruiters, that happens less often.
Almost half the businesses felt their needs were better understood and translated into hires by recruiters than in-house efforts.
4. Risk Mitigation
- Reference Checks: Thorough background checks can be a pain, but they’re part of a recruiter’s daily grind.
This means you get candidates who’ve been vouched for, reducing potential future issues.
- Confidentiality: For roles that are sensitive or when replacing a current employee, recruiters offer the cloak of confidentiality that’s sometimes essential.
The Cons of Recruiters
1. Cost Implications
- Commission or Fees: While they bring in the talent, they also send out the invoices.
The financial aspect can be a deterrent, especially for smaller businesses or startups.
- Potential for High Turnover: Quality always trumps quantity.
However, some recruiters, in a bid to close numbers, might compromise on fit, leading to potential turnovers and rehiring costs.
2. Lesser Company Knowledge
- Brand Disconnect: A recruiter might know the job but might not understand the soul of your brand.
This disconnect can sometimes lead to hires that tick the boxes but don’t fit the mould.
Platforms like GoHire offer brand-centric posting features
- Reputation Risks: In the age of brand image, one wrong hire or a misrepresented job can lead to significant PR nightmares.
It's a concern that keeps 14% of companies wary of external hiring partners.
3. Potential for Bias
- Sales Driven: They say every profession has its shades of grey.
- Some recruiters, driven by numbers, might promote candidates that add more to their commission than to your company.
- Limited Diverse Candidates: Diversity is more than a buzzword; it’s a necessity.
However, if recruiters aren’t aligned with this vision, the result can be a monochromatic team. A challenge 44% of UK firms are trying to overcome.
Recruiters, with their vast networks and market insights, offer businesses a distinct edge.
Platforms like GoHire further accentuate these benefits by introducing efficiency and transparency to the mix.
However, potential pitfalls, from high costs to biases, can't be ignored.
Remember, while tools and platforms evolve, the essence remains the same: finding the right fit for your company. Choose wisely.
By Owen Hollins
4 Sep 2023 · 2 min read
I am the Growth Manager at GoHire and will be the person you speak to on demos of our hiring platform. When not doing this, I am passionate about cricket, cheering on my beloved Newcastle F.C. in the stands, and taking my trusty labrador for power walks!